Monday, September 18, 2006

The Truth is Out There

I've been pretty tired of the whole "post-modern" discussion since, oh, 2001. It's been a conversation that's been more overplayed than 'Golddigger' on 94.5. I get it. In fact, I think we ALL get it; and we have been getting it for quite some time.

Okay, having said all that, here's a posting about post-modernism.

This morning I was in the left lane at a stop light. In front of me was an older-model Nissan Altima loaded with bumper stickers. Each one said something about women's rights: "Keep Your Laws Off My Body," "Abortion Is A Choice," " I Am Woman," "Women Are As Good As, If Not Better Than, Men." Okay, the last one wasn't actually on there, but I think that was the overall sentiment of the colorful liturature plastered to the bumper, trunk, and window.

Beside the Femi-Nazi Altima was an Infiniti sedan with two bumper stickers. One said, "I'd Rather Be Driving a Titleist," and the other said, "Abortion is Murder." In my mind I quickly played a scenario of the Femi-Nazi lunging out of her car and smashing the windshield of the rich, macho man in the Infiniti with her bare hands and screaming, "KEEP YOUR LAWS OFF MY BODY!!!!!!!!!!!!" It was more than a little funny.

I initially thought that those two vehicles, stopped side-by-side, spoke of a healthy democratic society where we're all free to share our views and opinions. I appreciate the fact that neither of those two people were chased down by the police because they expressed an opinion that went counter to the law. Generally, I don't get too worked up about politics and patriotism (I love my country, but chances are you'll never see me marching on Washington), but I can appreciate the freedom we have that others in the world aren't so lucky to share.

Then as I continued behind the two cars it occured to me that, in the matter of abortion, one of these people MUST be right. Either it's wrong, or it's not. And who is left to make that moral judgment? Legally we have a Supreme Court who decides, but who decides on the deeper, moral level? Apparently everyone.

It's sad to me the number of people who are unable to see the logic behind the life that God has laid out for us. Take Matthew's version of the Sermon on the Mount for example; if everyone lived their life according to these bits of wisdom spoken by Jesus on a hillside, imagine how beautiful our world would be. What would it be like if everyone in the world turned the other cheek (5:39)? What would it be like if everyone in the world worried about eternal things and not worldly things (6:19)? What would it be like if everyone in the world kept their word (5:33-37)? What would it be like if everyone were humble, everyone put others first, and everyone sought to glorify God in all things? For that matter, what would the church be like? What would I be like?

Christian or not, there's no denying that living according to the life prescribed by Jesus leads only to joy. It doesn't lead to wealth or fame, but it certainly leads to fulfilment, joy, and peace. It's unfortunate that so many people have decided to live counter to what Jesus taught. It is almost to the point where our borders will not only keep out illegal immigrants, but Jesus will soon find Himself on the other side of the fence, wanting back in.

Perhaps someday the world will see that living according to Jesus' plan for our lives is the only way that leads to peace. Until then, keep your laws off my body!

1 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Cory
I love reading your posts. I only stumbled onto your blog recently when Chris gave me the website. I love the way you write (and preach), its interesting and though provoking. I look forward to reading your blogs as I get ready in the morning (being that I'm on vacation). It reminds me of something you would buy at the store, a little thought book of the day. You should think about publishing. SERIOUSLY, you got a way with words. Have a great one bro.

Ty says "hi uncle cory!"

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home