Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Crazy Day

Christmas day began at 8:00 a.m. Christmas morning in Virginia. It was fun...then tiresome...then scary...then frustrating...then incredibly draining...and finally ended around 2:00 a.m. the morning after Christmas in Texas.

I preached a sermon on Christmas Eve about celebrating Jesus this Christmas, and continuing to do so throughout the year. It was easy to quickly forget my own words as we battled rental car agents, turbulence that sent us plummeting about 1,000 feet in 2 seconds shortly after take-off, a mix-up at the Houston airport that delayed us an hour and a half, and finally a three-hour drive that began at 11:00 p.m.

It's hard to keep Jesus in mind when you're tired and frustrated. It was hard to keep the Christmas spirit while simultaneously trying to keep Titus, our 7-month old from screaming the entire flight from Dulles to Houston. Yet it's precisely in those moments where Jesus is needed most.

I'm usually pretty calm and relaxed. I especially try to keep a positive attitude around our boys because I don't want them to think it's okay to treat people like trash just because you've had a long day. But sadly I lost my patience yesterday a few times despite my struggle to stay positive. It's not like I blew up or yelled or screamed, but I reacted strongly when I should have just let things go. I tried reconciling the situation, but I'm sure Levi knew what was in my head (fortunately Titus is still only worried about eating and grabbing whatever is in arms reach).

Because Jesus came to earth I'm called to celebrate my gifts, not take them for granted. I saw many employees and travelers sitting alone, surely wishing they could be somewhere else. I was blessed to be tired and hungry with those I love most. Despite our fun, tiresome, scary, frustrating, and draining day, it was a merry Christmas because I went through it all with my family.

I pray you had a merry Christmas too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home