Monday, November 06, 2006

I'm on steroids

Two Saturday's ago I went with our high schoolers to clean up a man's yard and house. It was during our 30-Hour Famine event. I helped clear out some brush that had grown up and around his back fence. One of our dad's who was helping us is always our "Poison Plant Watch Dog." He can spot the stuff from a mile away. So he was showing us where the poison ivy and poison oak plants were so we'd be sure to handle those areas with added care. I had been exposed to poison ivy before but never had a reaction, so I wasn't all that nervous. Well, evidently things have changed, and now I'm VERY allergic to the death weed.

I am currently doing everything within my power not to scratch my ankle, belly, and elbows. That's where it seems to have concentrated itself the most. It feels SOOOOOOOOO good to scratch it, so that doesn't help me in my fight. Yesterday I broke down and went to the doctor. He gave me some steroid pills to take and said things should clear up in about 5 days. That's a long time to test my willpower.

If anyone else ever has issues with poison ivy, the doctor recommeded an OTC cream called Zalfan, or maybe Zolfan, I don't remember. But he said everyone raves about it. I plan to go purchase myself a tube today.

Any other home remedies for battling this stuff?

3 Comments:

Blogger April said...

ON NCIS tonight they were talking about a home remedy for Poison Ivy..I just watched it an hour ago and I can't remember the exact mix. I think it was vingar and baking soda...i googled it and found some home recipes..thought they might help

Oatmeal - Simply boil up the oatmeal in water as you normally would. Let it cool for a few minutes, then apply warm to the effected area, Ideally, the mixture should be "built up" until a thick layer forms. It will harden as it dries. Most sufferers swear by this treatment, which is sometimes combined with a tablespoon or two of baking soda for extra relief from itch and oozing.


Baking Soda - This treatment has also become a classic homemade cure, made by mixing 3 teaspoons of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of water until a thick paste forms. Apply to the rash and let dry. Another tried-and-true method for many poison ivy sufferers is full immersion in a soothing baking soda bath.


Vinegar - Just sprinkle liberally on rash or blisters for instant relief from itch. Although the smell may not be to everybody's liking, vinegar seems to help draw out the "poison" from poison ivy while it also helps healing. White distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar seem to work best.


Banana Peel - Touted by many as a homemade "miracle cure", the inside of a banana peel rubbed on poison ivy rashes seems to bring instant, cooling relief. By some accounts, banana skins may even do the trick when all other poison ivy treatment fails.


Aloe Vera gel - A logical alternative, aloe vera is known to heal minor skin cuts and bring relief from sunburn, so apply liberally to effected areas to help sooth the itch and aid in healing.


Dishwashing liquid - Perhaps the most simple treatment of all, dishwashing liquid's anti-grease agents make it a common-sense remedy for poison ivy when applied liberally from the bottle at full strength. Simply wash off with cool water.

10:04 PM  
Blogger CoryJones said...

Wow! My main question is always, 'How in the world did someone come up with that?'

Thanks for the info.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Chips said...

Hey,
I was out of town when this posted. But I was itching with you the whole time I was gone! It took a couple days for mine to show up. It was only on my arms, however by sleeping without a shirt on (sorry if too much info) I managed somehow to spread it to my chest. Anyway, it took over a week to completely get rid of it all. And to think, if only I had worn the long sleeve shirt I left in my car that day, all of this could probably have been avoided. Urghh!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home