Monday, October 16, 2006

Privacy in America

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15221095/

The above link is to a story on MSNBC.com about our privacy in America. The question is, "Does anyone care about their privacy?" As the story suggests, American polls say one thing (60% in a recent poll said they're concerned about their privacy slipping away) and their actions say something different (only 7% in another poll said they're concerned enough to do something about it).

Honestly, I've never been that concerned with the whole privacy issue. When Bush came under scrutiny for allegedly listening to American's phone calls, my reaction was, "Okay." Do people really have that much to hide? Sometimes I wonder if I'm just out of touch; maybe other people have things to hide and I'm the only one who doesn't. Maybe I need to get myself some secrets. I know identity theft can be a problem, but if someone takes my identity, they won't get all that far. It's not like I have outstanding credit to begin with (should've listened to my dad about not having credit cards in college), and it's not like I have a large, or even mediocre, nest egg set aside somewhere. And my personal life is an open book. Being in ministry means I live in a fishbowl - there's very little about my life that at least a few don't know about.

My question is, are any of you out there worried about the privacy issue? Do any of you go to any lengths, great or otherwise, to protect your privacy?
- Do you keep your number unlisted?
- Do you shred your junk mail?
- Do you write "Check ID" on the back of all your credit cards?
- Do you have added security on your email inbox?
- Do you take a different path to work each day?
- Are your phone conversations spoken in secret code that only you and the listener are aware of?
- Do you regularly pat people down when they leave your house, making sure they haven't swiped a bill laying around?
- Have you scheduled a date to have your fingerprints surgically altered just to keep things fresh?

You know, normal things like that? What do you do to protect your privacy?

4 Comments:

Blogger The Best Family said...

in my world, privacy is the privilege of closing the door to use the bathroom.... at least every now and then!

10:51 PM  
Blogger CoryJones said...

Amen to that! I think I WILL draw the line at Bush coming in on that one.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Hey, Cory! This is Marcie. Sometimes I comment under an assumed name to protect my identity when I read other people's blogs. I don't think that anyone has caught on yet because I'm pretty clever about it.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Nope. I didn't know that, but I'm glad I gotcha!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home