Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Ordinary Days

I try to write in this blog on a fairly regular basis because, among many other reasons, I find it keeps me aware of everything, even the slightest things, that might spark some deeper thoughts and discussions. However, over the last several days I've had nothing. Things have been too ordinary; I've had nothing blog-worthy. For instance, today I took Levi to preschool, did laundry while Titus slept, chased a neighborhood dog back to his house, got Levi from school, and here I am writing while both boys are napping. Who wants to read about that?

It reminds me of one of my favorite Jars of Clay songs called Ordinary Days. One of the first lines is "I get tired of walking through these ordinary days." Sometimes I truly do too. I can
grow weary of what an old friend calls the dailyness of life. Maybe I'm spoiled to live a usually-exciting life, so when "nothing" is happening I notice it more. Who knows?

But what it's got me thinking about is how UNordinary God is. When our lives are like a stagnant pond, God is a rushing river, flowing wherever He would like, cleansing and refreshing. There is nothing simple or ordinary about God. There's no same-ness with Him. Every encounter is fresh, each touch of the Spirit is enlightening, and His mercies are new every morning. Perhaps I ought to spend a little more time with God to escape my ordinary days.



On a completely unrelated note, I have a quick story to share about Levi:

This afternoon I was changing Titus' diaper when Levi came in the room and said, "Uh oh, Daddy."

"What's 'uh-oh,' pal?" I asked.

"I made a mess with my water."

We went into the kitchen and he showed me a puddle of water on the floor. I asked him how he made the mess and he showed me by gargling his water. (You should know that we have a rule that he cannot gargle water unless he's in the bathtub. Yes, we actually had to make a rule about it) I asked why he was gargling water in the kitchen.

"I thought it was the bathtub," he said.

"Levi, is that the truth?" I asked.

After going around and around with him sticking to his story that he thought the kitchen was, in fact, the bathtub, I finally reminded him that he gets a spanking when he doesn't tell the truth. I offered one final chance for him to admit that he did NOT think the kitchen was the bathtub and he said:

"But Daddy, remember how Jesus loves me when I'm bad, but it makes Him very sad."

I hesitated for a moment, trying not to laugh. I guess he thought I hesitated because I was trying to remember this rule. So he proceeds to sing: "Jesus loves me when I'm good, when I do the things I should. (Louder and slower) Jesus loves me when I'm bad, but it makes Him very sad."

"Remember, Daddy?"

How can you spank a kid after a showing like that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home