Friday, September 22, 2006

Well Shucks, They Were Right

I realize this will sound arrogant, but try to look past that.

People tend to go on and on about how amazingly good looking our kids are. This is not done in a general sort of way - the way everyone thinks every baby is cute. Oh no, it's for real. Our kids are good lookin'.

After people go on and on about the pleasing-to-the-eye-ness of our children, they always say the same thing: "Enjoy it while it lasts, before you know it they'll be in high school or headed off to college." When I hear this I always smile and say, "Yeah, that's right." But inside I'm thinking, "No, this person just didn't appreciate the time they had with their own children. Time doesn't fly. In fact it moves quite slow."

Today is Levi's 3rd birthday. It's already been three years since the day he came slithering through the birth canal into the latex-cove s of Dr. Foust. THREE YEARS!!! And so, as the title of this post suggests, the recurring thought I've had over the last couple of days is, "Shucks! They were right! Time really DOES fly."

We watched home videos last night of Levi in his early years. It was fun to see how much our younger son, Titus, resembles him. It was fun re-living the days when he was a helpless blob; the days when he could barely crawl; the days when he could only say the first sylables of each word, yet we understood him perfectly; the days when he learned how to truly laugh; the days when he discovered the world for the first time.

While it was fun, it was also very hard. Several times I felt myself tear up thinking of my wonderful, beautiful child who is growing up too fast. Even as I sit here writing, I can feel the flood of emotions wanting so desperately for time to stand still, even for a moment, so he'll forever be my Little Guy.

At the same time, though, I think of how wonderful it will be to cheer for him the first time he steps up to the plate, or the first time he makes a basket (in basketball, not in art class), or the first time he scores a touchdown. I can't wait for the day when "Playing Catch" actually means we both catch the ball. I can't wait to see who his first girlfriend will be or who he'll take to the prom.

Most of all, I can't wait to see what magnificent things God is going to do with my Little Guy. I see in him already a love and a dedication to doing what's right that leads me to believe that God has big things in store for him. Whose life will be forever changed because of Levi Jones? Who will know God because of the Spirit that lives inside of him? Who will see grace through his service? Who will feel love through his touch? Who will be blessed by his kindness? Maybe a few, maybe the entire world. I can't wait.

I've never cried while writing a post until this one. Parenthood is such an overwhelming flow of emotions. In fact just this morning he was angrily screaming at the top of his lungs because Christina fed Maggie and didn't wait for him to do it. So he got put on the red mat (our equivalent of time out) ON HIS FREAKIN' BIRTHDAY!!!! Yet despite the times when the 3-year old really comes out, he's still one of the most precious gifts God has ever given to me. I cherish every moment - even the trying ones - because they are moments when I'm exposed to a glorious gift from the Father of Heavenly Lights.

Nevertheless, it goes by too fast.

Happy birthday, pal.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elisa said...

Cory,

I didn't know that Chris had a Dr. Foust. I hope that his named weighed heavily in the selection criteria when you were deciding on a doc.

This is a really sweet post. As someone who only sees Levi for short amounts of time a couple of times a year, I can really tell how quickly he changes. He is like a different person every time I see him. I hope that his birthday party is a lot of fun and that God continues to bless you through your sweet son.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yeah yeah your post was very touching :) however I must say I'm not so pumped about cherishing the trying moments. Whenever he's screaming "No MO-MMY" all I can think is bring back the terrible twos!!

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Allison's login was up when I sat down so here is my post for ya.

First, I don't think you can use Crap and make a spiritual point in the same post.

I can understand the whole time flys thing. Already Korben is amazing me with how fast he is learning and changing.

I do have to say I can't imagine at all him being 1 and running around and I am definately not going to let him throw a fit and yell at his mom...well we will see.

(ricky)

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home