Thursday, November 02, 2006

John Kerry and Other Annoying Issues

I'm sure by now many of you have heard about John Kerry's flub, goof, whatever you'd like to call it, in which he urged college students to study hard, do their homework, and take their education seriously lest they "get stuck in Iraq." His obvious point was to take a jab at Bush, sticking with the way over used tactic of insulting his intelligence. But, his misworded verbal punch has caused quite an uproar. Yesterday at a press conference at the White House reporters listened to someone from the Bush camp speaking out about Kerry's remarks. He kept insisting that it was so obviously, blatantly directed toward the troops and he didn't know how anyone could misinterpret what he said. He also urged Kerry over and over again to "just apologize." He played it so that it sounded like the Bush camp was sympathetic toward Kerry (which, if anyone would know about miswording speeches, it's W!). Just now on Fox News (who are having a field day with this, by the way) showed a picture circulating the internet of soldiers in Iraq holding a sign that reads:

"Halp us Jon Carry. We r stuk hear n irak."

I laughed; I thought it was a funny sign. But what bugs me about all this is the lack of honesty and integrity our national leaders have. This is no secret; it's not that this is a new revelation, but for some reason it's really bothering me today.

Something you should know about me - I don't like to play games. I don't like having to pretend I feel one way when really I feel another. I don't like having to stroke someone's ego to stay on their good side or walk on eggshells to keep from offending someone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to say whatever I want, whenever I want. I also believe in tact. But playing games really, really bothers me.

I think that's at the core of why I cannot stand the political world. If ever there was a subculture built primarily on playing games, it's politics. I hate it, can't stand it, and dread this time of year. Both sides use phrases like "unbiased," and "no spin" in an attempt to convince us that they have no hidden agendas, no false motives, and are only looking out for OUR best interests.

It's insulting to our intelligence. Nothing is about issues anymore, it's about who can out-con his or her opponent. Who can con the American people into voting for him? Who can con the American people into believing the worst possible scenarios about her opponent? This is what politics has been reduced to. It's one big game.

Despite my distaste for John Kerry, I will say this: "Senator Kerry, I know you were referring to the president when you made that remark, and so does everyone else in America. Next time, read your joke correctly." And to everyone else in politics I'll say, "How about being honest for a change?"

There, that should change things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home