Sunday, August 12, 2007

No Good Goodbye's

Today I announced to our teens and church that Christina, the boys and I will be moving to Texas in three weeks. It made for a very emotional day. The teens took it well for the most part, but it was still pretty hard to do. Some of the parents got pretty emotional too, which we weren't really expecting.

I read a letter to the church after service and I made it about half way through before I started getting pretty choked up. When I started saying all my 'Thank You's' I started losing it. But I eventually made it.

Six years of my life have been poured into the youth ministry in Richmond. I remember watching live footage of the Septmber 11th attacks downstairs in the office; we celebrated our first wedding anniversary here (and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th); we bought our first house here; we learned hard lessons about buying cars here; and we had two children here.

I've learned a lot about ministry too. I've learned that no matter what flashy programs I come up with, no matter how many kids come to any given event, nothing matters if my walk with Christ isn't where it ought to be. You can't share what you don't have.

I've learned that ministry is about relationship more than about programs. No relationships means no real ministry. Programs are fun, but relationships are real.

I've learned that effective ministry is done by lots of people, not just one lone ranger. A good youth minister will surround him or herself with a team of people excited about the youth ministry and willing to be equipped to reach teens for Christ.

The last six years have laid a foundation for the rest of my life. The people here at 3Chopt have shaped who I was, who I am, and who I will be for the rest of my life. I couldn't have picked a better place for that task.

2 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Goodbyes are hard. You guys were loved there at 3chop.

11:20 PM  
Blogger marciesalmon said...

I am proud of you and Christina. I am glad you will be closer to us- your family. I visited you guys there and saw first hand your commitment to your kids in the youth group. I wished I had a leader like you. They will never forget you all, ever! Is there anything else you want to say? Remember when God closes one door he opens another or two. I Love you all!
(Cory's #1 Cousin)

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home