Thursday, May 17, 2007

On the DL

That's right, folks. Mark it down: Cory Jones is on the DL (that's "Disabled List" for the layperson). For whatever reason, I was inspired Monday night to go for a jog. I took it easy and only ran a mile, just up the road and back in our subdivision. Wednesday morning I woke up early to go run the same mile. Just as I reached the half-mile point things went horribly wrong. I turned to see if any cars were coming as I started crossing the street. When I turned my head I stepped wrong and rolled my left ankle. I went sprawling out on the side of the road - hands scraping, iPod flying through the air...it was an ugly sight. Luckily it was early in the morning so, as far as I could tell, no one saw it.

I stood up, plugged my earphones back into my iPod, and continued my run. My ankle hurt when I fell, but the pain slowly moved to the side of my foot. Before I had run another 1/10 of a mile, I could feel a slight bulge jetting out of my left shoe. It was painful, but just in the annoying way. I was still running okay so I pushed through hoping it would subside. Unfortunately it didn't.

I ran back home (and even sprinted up our cul-de-sac) and got ready for a shower. When I took my shoe off my left foot was swollen and purple. It was beginning to hurt a little more and, after my shower, I was seriously considering a trip to the ER. But I could still put pressure on it so I assumed nothing was broken. I woke Christina up and got her expert Occupational Therapist opinion. She, unsympathetically I might add, poked and prodded at it and said I was fine.

It still hurts. It's still swollen. I'm still annoyed.

I'm annoyed because I actually WANT to go running for the first time in my life. I never understood how people could "enjoy" running, but now I get it. It's refreshing, it makes you feel great, and it gets you outdoors. I'll see if I feel the same way in the middle of July.

For now, this means I have to walk with a slight limp. It's just enough to make someone watch closely to see if I'm actually limping. It also means I have to sit out of this week's softball game.

Maybe after a few minor league rehab starts I'll be ready to get back on the Moody Middle School field in a couple weeks. We'll see.

How are your feet?

2 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

In my defense: I gotta say it's hard to be sympathetic of the slight purplish hue overcasting three of your toes- when my last patient had maggots and oozing puss comeing out of the sores on his feet!...but I love you still. :)

9:52 PM  
Blogger April said...

Cory- I must say you are starting to sound like Jeff. That means YES, I am calling you a WEENIE! That kid has taken too many trips to the ER at the first sign of pain that I had to come up with a rule. He had to wait 3 days and if it still hurt and wasn't getting better then he could go. Otherwise all they do is put ice on it slap a ace bandage and give a a huge bill for it all. I completly understand Christinas reactions and unsympathy:)

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home